Nurses 'get high’ after grandad accidentally thanks them with cannabis-laced cake – Evening Standard

Nurses were left “off their faces” when a patient’s elderly relative brought them a cake which turned out to be laced with cannabis

Police were called to Warrington Hospital, between Liverpool and Manchester, after staff ate the red velvet cake which left them feeling unusually “relaxed”.

The gift-giver, who has not been named, wanted to thank the nurses who cared for his family member.

He was unaware the cake he brought them, leftover from his grandson’s 18th birthday, was spiked with drugs.

The cake was found to contain the Class B drug cannabis, making it a 'space cake’. (Pixabay)

A member of staff, who asked to remain anonymous, claimed “three or four” nurses ate the cake and were left “off their faces”.

The source said: “They were eating the cake and then the next minute the staff were all off their faces. 

“It was brought in by a nice old man as a thank you, but it was full of funny stuff and had them all relaxed.

“There was no impact on the patients whatsoever, but they all knew something was wrong, so the police were called in,” they told Manchester Evening News.

Cheshire Police tested the cake and confirmed it contained cannabis.

The Class B drug was allegedly added to the baked treat to spice up the teenager’s birthday party, but his grandfather unwittingly took it to the hospital when he saw there was some left.

A police investigation into the incident found he had no idea what was in the cake and was shocked when he learnt of the mystery ingredient.

A police source told Manchester Evening News: “It was genuinely an error by all parties, even the person who put something in that he shouldn’t have because he didn’t know it was going to the hospital.

“Nobody knew that, and that’s why we’re not taking it any further.”

Warrington and Halton Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust conducted a 72-hour internal investigation into the incident which took place on May 27.

But they claimed the homemade gift had no impact on staff despite some of the cake being eaten.

The hospital’s chief nurse Kimberley Salmon-Jamieson said: “A homemade cake was brought in to one of our wards in error by a patient’s family. 

„The item was collected by Cheshire Police to be tested. An internal investigation has been undertaken and we can confirm that one member of staff tried the cake, but they did not experience any effects and there was no impact on our patients.”

Police said they had offered “some strong words of advice” to the family and that the cake had since been “destroyed”.

A Cheshire Police spokesperson said: “Officers received a report on Monday 27 May that a cake which was suspected to contain drugs had been brought in by a member of the public and given to staff at Warrington Hospital.

„After an investigation, officers determined that the member of the public who had brought in the cake was unaware of the content of the cake as it had been left over from their grandson’s birthday party.

„Officers have now spoken to all parties involved and given some strong words of advice. The case has now been closed and the cake destroyed.”

Dodaj komentarz