A group of metal detectorists had to go to hospital after unknowingly eating cakes apparently spiked with cannabis in a village called High Melton.
Some 13 men and women fell ill at the rally in Doncaster on Saturday night.
A detectorist spokesman said: „People could have died. It was lucky that no children or people on medication with serious health problems ate the cake.”
A 48-year-old woman from County Durham was arrested and later released on bail.
Julian Evan-Hart, editor of Treasure Hunting Magazine, said it was a „dreadful incident” but he did not believe it was malevolent.
„I think it was an irresponsible, poorly thought-through joke,” he said.
„This isn’t a poor reflection on our hobby, the dig organisers or anyone else involved the planning of the event. It’s just a case of random lunacy.”
A large fleet of medical staff were called to the scene.
They included eight ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, two doctors, two clinical supervisors and a Hazardous Area Response Team.
Yorkshire Ambulance Service said two people were treated on the spot.
It said: „Yorkshire Ambulance Service received an emergency call just before 18:30 BST on Saturday to reports of a number of people feeling unwell at a national metal detecting event…
„They had become unwell after ingesting an unknown substance.”
Mr Evan-Hart said the cakes were homemade, and had not been sold.
The 13 people admitted to hospital, who came from across the country, were later discharged.
You may also be interested in:
Follow BBC Yorkshire on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Send your story ideas to email@example.com.